Can you believe it? NHRC is nine years old!
It seems like only yesterday that NHRC was a brand-new baby and look where we are now. It has been quite a year:
- We pushed for $100 Million in new funding for housing counseling in the American Rescue Plan, which is now the Housing Stability Counseling Program administered by NeighborWorks America.
- No final number on the FY 2022 budget yet, but the House has put us in for the full $100 million for the HUD Housing Counseling assistance that we requested. We continue to encourage the Senate to do the same.
- Our contributions to Maxine Waters’ staff and the Black Homeownership Collaborative are paying off with the likely inclusion of a first-generation homebuyer down payment assistance program in the latest budget reconciliation bill. We should know shortly.
- We continue to advocate for the Eviction Crisis Act, the Disaster Recovery Act, and Housing Financial Literacy Act, along with a role for housing counseling in these bills.
- We have kept the pace up on our Leaders in Housing Counseling calls; the latest on eviction protection, forbearance, and foreclosure prevention, manufactured housing, thinking about systemic racism, student loans, Black and Brown homeownership preservation, and more.
- We have pivoted our outreach work with local housing counseling agencies to do virtual events on home buying and homeowner preservation.
- We continue to progress on standardizing housing counseling data fields, so our work can communicate electronically with Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, lenders, servicers, and HUD (shout out to David Young on his leadership).
- Our significant discount for Credit Reports for NHRC members and the SAVI student loan program continues.
- We are making the voices of housing counseling heard in the public arena and policymakers are paying attention.
Thank you to the many housing counseling agencies, funders, stakeholders, and allies for your ongoing support.
Bruce, Ellie, and Eboni